Sunday 12 June 2016

What a weekend!



This weekend has been full of highs and lows, but it has made me realise more than anything how incredibly lucky I am.

As most of you will know my eldest son Liam went to France this weekend to watch the first England Euro's game. Halfway through the game I received a message from him saying he was having the most amazing time and it was one of the best things he had ever done. I watched the game and towards the end I heard a loud bang, because of the recent terrorist activities I was worried. Then just after the final whistle blew I received a telephone call from Liam's dad telling me that Liam is fine and not to worry because I would hear that the English fans had been attacked by the Russian fans.

A little while later I received a message from Liam telling me that he and his friend were in a car on the way back to the hotel but that it had been incredibly dangerous and Russian men in balaclavas were attacking everyone. The devastation that was being caused by a minority of vicious thugs was horrific with several people being injured and ending up in hospital.

Liam said that the majority of the Russian people that they had met that day were really nice people, it is so sad that the camaraderie between the true football fans were ruined by these mindless criminals.

I found out a little later from Liam's dad that an England fan had driven Liam and his friend away from all the fighting and back to their hotel, all of our family are incredibly grateful to this kind man who helped two young men escape this awful situation.



This morning I woke up to a message from my dear friend and fellow blogger Nathalie, who's brother lives in Marseille offering to help Liam should there be any further problems and drive him back to the airport. I cannot put into words how I feel about such a kind offer, this man does not know us and yet he is happy to go out of his way to help. His sister, the lovely Nathalie, has checked up on us, sent regular messages backwards and forwards between us and her brother trying to help us.
I have not yet been lucky enough to meet Nathalie but I truly hope one day I can take her out to dinner and truly thank her for caring and helping.



This evening I have received a message from Liam telling me that today in Martiges the French people have been amazing to them, chatting and bringing them free drinks. These are people who have done nothing wrong and have been through more than enough in the last year without having to deal with idiots trashing their community.


So today, I am feeling grateful:-

  • To have a sensible son that avoids trouble and makes friends with people very easily
  • That people are willing to help others even though they don't know them
  • To have family members who keep me updated immediately to avoid me worrying
  • To have good friends that will do anything to help
My thoughts go out today to the families of anyone that was injured or worse in this weekends events whether it be the European championships or the tragic events that took place in Orlando.

Even though it was raining today we felt a need to get out of the house so we took the children to the national park.










It was nice to get out for a while.

For dinner tonight we just had chicken sandwiches as we did not feel like cooking too much.

The chicken was reduced £2.20
The rolls were £2.00
Cucumber 45p
Lettuce 10p
Tomatoes 45p

Total £5.20

Please take care xx

No comments:

Post a Comment